Friday, November 18, 2011

Week 3

Another week down! Not looking forward to the crazy business of having to focus on post practicum assignment. On a lighter side I am beginning to get the feel of the groups I am working with. 6A listens to me now which means I have applied all the right Educational Psychology Classroom Management skills! Grade 7 Drama groups have shared some lovely personal stories which they will be learning to storyboard next week to follow up with a Drama performance. They won't be ready to perform by the time I leave but they are engaged with the project which is exciting enough.

Over this 3 week period I have created a great many opportunities for the students to work in groups - both as a whole class passing around a rain stick to take turns being heard and also in smaller groups where they have been challenged to cooperate with each other.  My impression is that they need alot more of this and I am hoping that my AT will continue it after I go. 

Anti-Bullying week brought on a whole new shock to my system.  I do not like the language used - I feel it encourages more aggressive behaviour - turning victims into "bullies".  This is what I have based my inquiry research project on and I will be asking more questions this week of  the staff.  I have spoken to my AT and he is so receptive to what I have to say that he is leading a discussion next week with 6A on "Is the Bully a bad person?"  It's nice to know I am having an impact on both teacher and students.

See you when it's done...


1 comment:

  1. Hi Gabrielle, I love that idea of letting the kids pass the rainstick around.
    all my kids have been wanting to try it and I never thought of passing it around. I usually only let them if there aren't too many other kids around. I'm going to do that tomorrow for my last day, as a little treat :) And that is totally cool that your are opening people up to a different perspective on language used when talking about bullying. See you next week. Have an awesome last day :)

    ReplyDelete