Saturday, November 26, 2011

Week 4

Friday Afternoon


School Dance:





Teen Spirit was dripping off the gym walls on our last day of the practicum and when they opened the doors to let the students go the spirit rushed out of the building like a force I've never known straight into my nasal cavity. It was a wonderful way to end the practicum to see everyone so energetic and alive.

As for me I totally dated myself by wondering out loud when they stopped playing Stairway to Heaven as the last dance and also singing along to "I like your cheese stick" wondering if the students were sophisticated enough to understand such a bizarre sexual metaphor. I have since looked at the real lyrics of "Like a G6" and am happy to know that getting drunk and high still go with school dances even if it's only in the lyrics of the songs.

Good news - I finished up the project for the final visual art lesson in time to take a photo of it for our assignment. It was a great success because the students were so engaged in it - even the ones who never take part were on task. The ELL teacher told me that the student who moved to Canada a month ago from Macedonia was enjoying the opportunity to be involved in a project that included her with the class. This brought tears to my eyes. The project was the culmination of a month long investigation of what it means to be Canadian as a cross curricular unit that covered math, visual art, drama, social studies and language and which began with their immigration stories.

More good news - I passed...

See you Tuesday.

g.


PS I commented as Bunyip on Vivian, Carolyn, Jasmin and Patrick and a couple of others

No comments:

Post a Comment