Saturday, March 31, 2012

Week 4

The last week flew by with the students working on group projects to present a non-fiction article of their choice to the rest of the class. My theory on assessment has become more solidified with the more experience I have marking papers and projects.

Thursday morning I managed to somehow flush the only copy of the room key down the toilet. The caretakers were very kind and sensitive to how I felt about having to 'fess up to it and it was beautiful to hear their chuckles echo through the hallways and my heart.

Enough students said lovely things to me about my impact on them over the month that my passion for teaching remains regardless of the sometimes soullessness of the system.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gabrielle!

    I'm with you on the part about having the assessment aspect of teaching more solidified after this practicum! I was marking a writing assignment that had been the focus of my unit plan, and found that I was spending too much time on each piece of work at the beginning (mainly because I wanted to be sure to be fair), but the process got much better as I went along and became more confident in the process and more adept at giving feedback. It will be interesting to hear about what kind of thing you were marking!

    ~ Alyssa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will also be interesting to hear how you managed to flush the only copy of the room key down the toilet! I know what my first question to you will be! :)

    I'm glad (and not surprised) to hear that you were able to have such a positive impact on your students over the past month, I'm sure your passion shines through in every lesson you deliver!

    See you monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was always great to hear your stories about interactions with the students. You obviously had a profound impact on a few of them, and were someone that they could confide in (especially one student in particular). I think the students, whether they even realized it or not, appreciated your relaxed, heartfelt, and most of all human approach to learning. You showed them that learning doesn't always have to be a chore, and that they are capable of much more than they may realize. It was a pleasure working across the hall from you, aka hanging out in your classroom all the time.

    ReplyDelete